Friday, May 13, 2011

DeWitt to Cedar Rapids to Hannibal


FRIDAY THE 13TH!!
And away we go to Cedar Rapids. We want to see how the Czech community has rebuilt since the big flood of a few years ago. Unlike New Orleans they did not seek government assistance. Now let's see, was Linda's grandmother's house on 18th or 19th street. No matter, both streets are completely devoid of houses as they have all been demolished. It's very sad. I was here shortly after the flood and took pictures of the house. I am glad I did as that was the last picture that we will have. It will probably be the last time that we visit here. We also went by the Czech graveyard to pay our respects to Linda's grandparents. And of course I must get a BBQ picture in Iowa but this time I use the on-line phone book to find restaurants instead of the out of date GPS. And naturally the first 2 that I try are no longer in business. we du succeed with the 3rd though. We then started south to Hannibal, MO, the home of Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn. We walked around the old town area and saw the sites. Then I started calling for a place to stay. The campground where the tents are positioned a long ways away from the showers which the self contained RVs are next to was $20 for a tent site. The motel up the road was $35 so we chose the motel. The weather is predicting heavy rain (so it will most likely be dry) and we do not like packing a wet tent. We ate at a local tavern that we walked to and then came back to the motel room to wait for the rain which has not yet shown up at 10:30 PM. Tomorrow morning I will decide which of the two locations I am considering we will be going to. I think I will leave the weather predictions out of the decision process.

No comments:

Post a Comment