Friday, May 13, 2011

Missouri to Springfield, IL


NOTE: I am trying to write several inputs to this blog on the same day. Many blogs will not accept this approach and things could be out of order. If so I apologize for procrastinating. JD
After telling lies with my friend Tom all day Sunday it is time to hit the road towards Chicago. I do not need to be in Chicago until between noon and 2 PM Tuesday so I need to leave today and spend the night on the road. I have several stops in mind but finally decided on Springfield, IL. I am going to stay at a KOA. But first I need a photo of a BBQ restaurant in Missouri. Conveniently the road has been redone at an intersection in a small Missouri town. The GPS tells me to go straight but there is no longer any straight, I must turn left or right and I choose right. I quickly see that it is the wrong way and I turn around in a restaurant parking lot. However the restaurant is a BBQ so I get my Missouri photo. This is one of the few times I have thanked my GPS for being out of date. It was quite windy crossing the Mississippi river into Illinois and of course I was trying to take photos while driving one handed. Definitely not smart!! The trusty? GPS leads me right to the KOA in Springfield, IL and I start to make camp, IN THE WIND!! The tent is not being friendly but I have done this before and I finally win. Then it is time for dinner and hopefully a BBQ photo in Illinois. I have had a yearning for some fried walleye since our America tour in 2009 when I could not find it. But there is a place in Springfield that serves great walleye. Hot dog, away I go, but it's closed as is the BBQ place but I do get the required photo. I do find a tavern that serves walleye so I am satisfied with a plate of walleye and a beer. Back in camp I have a good night's sleep until 5:30 when all of the birds start singing.

1 comment: